I am so excited to share this DIY Play Kitchen with you guys! It is such a fun project and I just love how completely customizable it is! I did a relatively simple one without a back or back splash, but really the sky is the limit, I have seen ones that are quite big made out of whole entertainment units with back splash tile etc. to match their actual kitchen! I chose to do a small and simple one so 1) I would actually do it and not get overwhelmed with the scope of the project and 2) it was for my niece and my sister didn’t want or need a gargantuan one ;)
When I first started looking for ideas to make this, I got a little frustrated because there was nothing giving exact instructions unless you were buying a certain new night stand from Ikea. As I worked my way through this project I realized quickly that you really can’t make exact instructions for someone else because the way the hinges might work, etc. will vary a lot depending on the piece of furniture you start with. I really love the idea of up-cycling old furniture and it is a lot more cost effective, there is also the bonus of finding a piece to use with extra character like this one, I fell in love with the feet (and it only cost $15):
Once I found the night stand I knew next I would need to find paint and a reasonable sized bowl for the sink and had a few ideas for the tap (a few that I have seen used are upside down silver painted letters: “J” or “L”, an actual old tap from a used supply store which I wanted to do but the only one our local re-store had was rather hideous). I actually used an over the door hanger from the dollar store and it was perfect, I also got a small shallow bowl from the dollar store for the sink as well.
So from those supplies you can see this is shaping up to be a pretty inexpensive project, there was one item that I kind of splurged on though which brought the price up a little, which is FAT Paint Chalk paint, I chose it for a few reasons though and only used about 1/5th of the can so I have lots left for other projects which I am excited about!
I love the chalk paint because it goes on easily and covers well, the surface prep necessary is minimal, it is low VOC and comes in great colours, I picked “apple”. I also think it’s great to support local companies, I knew this company was Canadian but didn’t realize they were so close, in New Westminster! I also purchased the clear top coast for added durability. For the “burners” and “dials” I used the black and silver acrylic paint I had on hand, from the dollar store too.
So the first thing I did before painting the Play Kitchen was cut out the hole for the sink, my hubby drilled the starter hole and I used the jig saw to cut the hole. It wasn’t perfect but the rim of the bowl/sink hides that.
From there I painted two coats with the green chalk paint and then needed to figure out what exactly I needed or wanted to do from there… the fun part!
I painted a silver back ground with a black border for the “stove top” (the coffee table seemed like a reasonable work bench :D), and my hubby who has a much steadier hand than mine did the burners later, you can also do 3D burners with a round of wood or something if you prefer.
I went to home hardware and got the rest of the components, a spring curtain rod kit for the little curtain $3.99 (it comes with the necessary hardware), for the tap handles I bought two of the basic “12 point handles” $4.49 each, a magnetic catch to keep the “oven” door closed $4.59, and little hinges $3.99. I had previously found stove knobs from the re-store and cleaned them so they looked like new, you could also buy them new from an appliance store if you have something very specific in mind and cannot find it used.
I had a mis-step in my planning (as usual) and forgot about the shelf so we had to get creative the night before our Christmas morning with our niece and improvised, using random items in our garage. I also bought some matching drawer liner to make the shelf pretty, and also to apply to the back of the Play Kitchen, so depending on where it is placed it is still pretty from all sides!
All in all, this project cost less than $80 CDN!
Magnetic Catch to keep the Oven closed:
Here are a few photos of the finished product, I hope this has been helpful and has given you some inspiration for a project of your own! Sorry the photo quality isn’t great, I had forgotten to get some finished product photos until my sister was ready to load the car up and head home with it – oops! If you love it, please pin and share :) if you have other questions, please feel free to contact me, my email is firstname.lastname@example.org, or DM me on Instagram!